Register using Facebook

Please also select your country:

Where are you from?

We think you're from UK, but you can change your region above any time for local news and competitions!

Do not show me this message again.

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Job worries Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 21:51
I have been at my present job since 2001, but wonder how much longer i will be there. We had a new female manager start on the 1st Jan, and she is not a very nice person. First our previous female manager was due to retire in March but this woman wanted her out of our department on 31st Dec. She has been coming round to each member of staff to see what work we do and had a cupboard by her desk removed so she can keep an eye on everyone all the time. She has now decided to make drastic changes to the way we do our work. The guy who sits next to me was called into office by his team manager on friday, to be told that his job may be done by various members of staff. He does all the cheque banking in our area and to pass his job to other people would cause a lot of problems. My job was also mention in the conversation about being done by other staff. So i expect to be called into the office on monday. It seems to me that this manager wants to reduce the head count in the office and put more work on the remaining staff. None of the previous managers have ever done this until now. This woman is so disliked i have yet to find anyone to has a good word to say about her.

Has anyone one else had problems with their manager or boss?
If so how did you cope with the situation.
Post #95242
Posted 08 February 2009 12:59

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 29 July 2013 00:44
LB, continuing doing your job -- the best you can.
I had an obnoxious boss once. Although it was hard at times, I tried 'killing her with kindness.' It must've helped, b/c we're still on speaking terms!

And surely it would suck if you lost your job, but you're certainly not alone. Here in the US, peeps are losing jobs in record numbers.

Very strange and scary times we're living in.
In time, things will be better.

x
Post #95243
Posted 08 February 2009 13:05
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:58
There have been far worse economic crisis. The Cuban Missile Crisis, Asian Economic Crisis, Y2K, dot.com bubble bust, 9/11. Society has gotten through & WILL get through. Plugs this life/paradigm changing film - http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
Post #95244
Posted 08 February 2009 16:57

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 20:46
LB, it's the same at my place too, new manageress, a right jobsworth, changing everything and not making herself very popular and making our lives a misery. She is straight from Uni, 22 years old!!!!!!!!!! Now i'm not saying that youngsters can't do the job, but in my day you started at the bottom and worked your way to the top so that you had experience on the shop floor and knew what made your workers tick, i thought it's always best to keep your workers happy! That has only ever happened if the manager, as i say, started at the bottom but it doesn't seem they do any more these days, they just walk straight into managerial jobs with no work experience whatsoever!!!!!
Post #95245
Posted 08 February 2009 17:27

Supreme Being

Last Login: 25 November 2010 19:40
Perhaps the job cuts and changes to working practises are down to having to make them because of the economic situation .. perhaps this new manager was brought in because it's easier for someone who doesn't personally know the workers to make changes? She can make judgements based purely on the work and not on "I'll keep so and so on because I know they have ...."

We're "lucky" in some senses .. we've been told the company was looking for ways to save money, the managers have all had their company cars taken away and there's a stop on the travelling to other offices and claiming hotel/meal costs back. That hasn't helped enough, and we were expecting to be told people would lose their jobs or have hours decreased but so far, all we've been told is that we won't get a pay rise this year. I can just about cope with that if it means keeping my job
Post #95246
Posted 08 February 2009 17:33
Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 October 2011 21:34
With the economy how it is, I think that most all businesses are feeling the crunch.....and it's pretty scary.

In our company, we've already had to let about 40 people go in our corporate office. (180 employees to begin with). We've just been informed we have to trim another 60 positions in the next 3 months.

We've also brought in an outside company to review our personnel and help us re-structure because having an outside resource review everything on paper is a much more efficient way to make changes, as well as being in the best interest of the business. This way, it's not about Mary, who is divorced and has 3 kids or about Stan, who's been there for 10 years and is about to retire. It becomes about who performs, what positions are needed and who's the best asset to remain on the workforce.

The only thing one can really do is just continue to do what they know how to do with the best of your ability and just hope that your ethics and performance do not go unnoticed.
Post #95247
Posted 08 February 2009 17:40
Supreme Being

JC, for a big multinational company you 'supposedly' work for, you sure spend a lot of your time online on this forum typing your insightful & lengthy posts! Keep up the hard work mate, or as we Australian love to colloquies, hard 'yakka'!
Post #95248
Posted 08 February 2009 17:44
Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 October 2011 21:34
neo? Not sure what you mean? I don't spend an enormous time posting lengthy posts here....as compared to many. In fact, I spend FAR less time here now than I ever have.

Further....never did I say I worked for a multinational company. And for the record....I work my a*s off, thank you very kindly.
Post #95249
Posted 08 February 2009 18:28
Supreme Being

Good on ya JC. Hard work never broke anyone's back now! Maybe in the factory, but I'm sure there's laws & compensation in place to satisfy all employees. Anyway I'm not the one to devalue a blue collar worker over a white or grey collar worker. In fact, I'd much vouch for the former.
Post #95250
Posted 09 February 2009 19:47
Supreme Being

Last Login: 30 January 2012 00:22
I had a boss who talked to me all sorts of personal crap about my co-workers. One day I was so fed up, I told everyone what she said about them. One of them actually quit because of it. I felt kinda guilty after that.
Thankfully, now I have no boss. Or, well, I do, but he is over in Texas and I'm in Argentina so.... he doesn't bug heheh
Post #95251
Posted 10 February 2009 13:09

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 January 2013 13:31
Did they tell you why she had been called in/employe din the first place?

They can only change your role with your consent, but consider the options in the current 'climate'.

Otherwise I would say try some assertiveness to find out what she is doing, or if its just you, or ask her if something could be done better?

if all fail she probably is a B****.
Post #95252
Posted 10 February 2009 13:36

Supreme Being

Last Login: 18 September 2014 15:05
My job was a casualty of this economy. It sucks but what can you do? There are so many others in the same boat. I was part-time and they usually get rid of those jobs first--no benefits and such. So now I'm thinking about what I'm going to do. I wanted a change anyway so hopefully I can find something I can really enjoy. I hope that won't be too difficult to do.
Post #95253
Posted 11 February 2009 01:08
Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 March 2014 17:48
My experience of these slumps in the market means it gives employers an excuse to bring in changes and get rid of people, warranted or not. There was a programme last night highlighting ageism, and they say it's like the 80's when anyone over 40 needn't bother applying for a job. It's illegal of course to use age to discriminate, but how can you prove age was the reason you didn't get the job?

Some believe Britain is dead in the water, and that the will eventually crash, so all the money invested in Banks will be lost, so things sadly will only get worse this year. Cheerful sod ain't I. Freddy
Post #95254
Posted 11 February 2009 01:45

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 23:03
Hooked, Sorry to hear about your job. Here's hoping you can find something better!
Post #95255
Posted 11 February 2009 15:04

Supreme Being

Last Login: 18 September 2014 15:05
Thanks, MSF
Post #95256
Posted 14 February 2009 18:24

Supreme Being

Had a meeting at work yesterday, and we was told that everyone's job will be safe, but i still don't trust my new manager. There are going to be lots of changes in the office and most won't be to our liking , but we just have to be glad to still have a job.
Post #95257
Posted 04 April 2009 16:30

Supreme Being

I heard yesterday that 60 staff at the company that i work for are going to be made redundant. I've been told by my team leader our jobs are safe at the moment, but for how long
Post #95258
Posted 04 April 2009 19:22

Supreme Being

Seems to be the case everywhere unfortunately, many of my friends have been made redundant, 4 people were laid off at Mr. Lonelydancer's place last week with more to come at the end of April, that could be the end for us if that happens, my place seems to be safe at the moment but you never know what's round the coener, very scary times!
Post #95259
Posted 04 April 2009 19:22

Supreme Being

That's 'corner'!
Post #95260
Posted 08 April 2009 01:17

Supreme Being

Last Login: 28 April 2012 09:17
This does worry me lot. I watch the news and see how society is feeling the crunch.

I have felt it too. Before my case got so involved, I was a student and had loans to cover class and living expenses and also worked part-time. Then all loans were frozen and I couldn't return to school which in turn made my loans due for re-payment.

After my trial and move in May......I worry about explaining why I have not worked for the last year. Will that make me less of an asset for a business to hire or is a lot of people going through a block of time that they haven't been employeed....or looking for work.....

What is the best way to explain gaps in employment or is saying I took time off for family reasons enough to explain?

Me'
Post #95261
Posted 14 May 2009 20:11

Supreme Being

It's been announced at the company i work for today, that 610 jobs will go during this year. Everyone at all levels will be affected from senior managers, team leaders, staff like me and temps and contractors.
Things in the UK seem to getting worse, BT also announce today 15,000 jobs to go
Post #95262
Posted 18 July 2009 06:50

Supreme Being

We will have the auditor's interviewing all the staff in my department next month. And they will decided who will be made redundant from their jobs. You can appeal about their decision but it can drag on for months before you know the results. It's causing me alot of stress and i'm dreading next month. I know everyone is in the same boat as me but some people can cope better with stress than others. It's also affecting my health, i have sharp pains in my stomach and chest because of this. Has anyone got any tips on coping with stress?
Post #95263
Posted 18 July 2009 08:11

Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 September 2014 00:59
Sorry to hear that you are in a stressful situation at the moment LB. Take some time for yourself, be with friends and family who can offer you support when you need it, and do whatever you enjoy to keep you distracted. Switch on ATLS and play Shine On, over and over, and keep your glass half full always.
I have everything crossed that you will not be selected. You can also get natural herbal remedies to help anxiety and stress if you feel it might help.
I hope you can try to relax, and if you ever need it, my shoulder is just a PM away.
Post #95264
Posted 18 July 2009 10:36
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:56
We all know someone who's lost their job in this worsening situation don't we !

Worse case scenario Lady blunt ... other doors will open after this one closes!

Stay close ,

love Julie x
Post #95265
Posted 18 July 2009 10:49

Supreme Being

Thanks for the replies, still having sharp pains in my stomach, may contact the doctors on monday. I got my parents for support and being here on the boards helps to take my mind off things.
Post #95266
Posted 18 July 2009 13:15
Supreme Being

Last Login: 08 August 2013 05:07
I feel for you lady blunt, you're in a 'waiting for the other shoe to drop' situation which does tend to increase stress levels, and cause tension and knots in stomach. I think you're on the right track though in distracting yourself from the situation as much as possible.

I've found the Homeopathic 'Rescue Remedy' very helpful, during the day and also in the evenings, a few drops before bed really does help to physically relax and defuse tension without any side effects whatsoever.
Post #95267
Posted 18 July 2009 13:27

Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 September 2014 00:59
That's what we used to use before going into the dressage ring - Rescue Remedy... I couldn't remember what it was called. Even the horses had a little if they were hyped up! It really does work, and is not harmful in any way.

Hope things look up for you soon LB, and as Julie said, in the worst case scenario another door opens. Have you been to see your Doctor - about the pain you have? Get well soon LB. x
Post #95268
Posted 18 July 2009 17:39
Supreme Being

Last Login: 10 April 2011 22:03
Several pieces of nice advice here. I'm intrigued by Rescue Remedy.

Lady Blunt, I'm sorry to hear of your job worries and stress.

With your kind of situation, it might be helpful to think of this as the beginning of a new chapter (another door opening up), in which you can take steps toward a new path. (I think a lot of people have hidden talents, but are too busy doing other things to find or develop them). Maybe you can pursue new hobbies or look into taking classes or lessons in something you're interested in. Or start looking into other jobs, in which you will end up meeting new people, making new friends, and filling other needs required of the job. You might very well find something fulfilling.

Whenever I find myself worrying about something BEYOND MY CONTROL, I have the following discussion with myself.. 'MSF, Worrying is not going to improve the situation, so try to 'let it go'. Worry often makes its own burden, and can be hard on the body. Maybe you can take this opportunity to start looking toward a different path or direction.

~Wishing you the best~
Post #95269
Posted 18 July 2009 19:29
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:56
"It makes no sense to worry about things you have no control over because there's nothing you can do about them, and why worry about things you don't control? The activity of worrying keeps you immobilized." -- Wayne Dyer

These two people have some interesting things to say .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ha0x0JusdM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pke9gEZfJXk&feature=related

The first book I ever read cover to cover was The Alchemist , Paulo Coelho. I was 35 . It changed my world , and me in it.
Have you read it Lady Blunt?

julie x
Post #95270
Posted 18 July 2009 20:08
Supreme Being

Last Login: 10 April 2011 22:03
I wanted to add something to my last post..

I do believe that there are times that worry can lead us to actions that have productive and needed outcomes. I call that 'productive worry'.

But in the type of situations like losing a job, which may be utterly outside of our control, then intense worry sometimes serves no purpose other than to harm our mind or body.
Reminding myself of this can often help me let go of the worry.

And if stress seems unavoidable, channeling worry into stress-alleviating actions can have a healthy outcome.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.
Post #95271
Prev Topic | Next Topic

All times are GMT, Time now is 1:13pm