Register using Facebook

Please also select your country:

Where are you from?

We think you're from UK, but you can change your region above any time for local news and competitions!

Do not show me this message again.

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Prince Harry Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 14:56
Surprise news on TV tonight, Prince Harry has been in Afghanistan for 10 weeks, how did the Army manage to keep it a secret from the rest of the world?

Prince Harry has fufilled his dream of serving his country, fighting the Taliban on the front line in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence confirmed today.
The 23- year old Household Cavalry officer has spent the past 20 weeks secretly serving in war-ravaged Helmand Province and was there over Christmas. He dropped his first bombs on New Year's Eve.
The prince dismissed fears that he will be a bullet magnet, swore he does not miss anything, said he believed his mother was proud of him and made no reference to girlfriend Chelsy Davy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=522552&in_page_id=1770&ct=5
Post #80471
Posted 28 February 2008 21:25

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 25 November 2010 19:40
I am very torn on this story .... and it throws up so many debates I couldn't even begin to think what side I am on

When Harry joined the Army, he was under no illusions what the job would entail, and he made it obvious in interviews that he wanted to serve with his friends on the frontline. Last year, when his unit were to be deployed to Iraq, there were numerous debates about whether he should go (and I remember we discussed it at length on the old boards) ... yes he was a trained soldier, but he was a huge security risk and would have been a specific target, putting the lives of his unit in more danger, and there had been threats made against his life. At that time, I believe it was the right decision to not send him.

This time, they have gone about it differently. No publicity, so no-one knew he was going, and he would have been pretty much like an ordinary soldier. I suspect that is what he wanted from the start.

The British media were in the know, agreeing to keep it secret. Was that right? Had it been made public, we'd have been in the same situation as we were last year .. but do the government have the right to force the media to not report on something? Its difficult, we're meant to be a country that allows freedom of speech, but when that freedom might be putting lives at risk, is it OK to report it?

Personally, I think it should have been kept secret until he came back .. for his protection and the protection of the others around him. Whoever leaked this story has now potentially put those guys at more risk than they were, and I wouldn't be surprised if Harry is sent home within the next week or so.... but I'm uneasy about the issue of the press being "gagged" by the government ..... but, lets face it, there are probably much bigger secrets being kept from us too
Post #80472
Posted 28 February 2008 22:56

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 April 2011 23:12
I suspect there is a lot of stuff 'we' don't know about. Personally, I feel there are probably some things which are better not brought out in the open, as it may just cause unnecessary or irrational behaviour.

Lets face it, the British public do tend to panic over the slightest thing.... The amount of times there has been stories about petrol or other things exaggerated by the media which has sent hundreds of people crazily out to panic buy when really there's been no need! And that moment of madness often has adverse reactions which then need restoring so we can all get back to everyday life again.

So I do feel, in some situations, some things are left best unpublicized because it possibly is for our own good. Of course I'd want to know about something serious or something that WOULD effect us, but I completely understand the reasoning behind why some things are kept secret.

In this instance; I think it was best for Harry and all those around him that it was kept from the public. Making this public knowledge has only put Harry and all those around him in danger. Whether or not he should have been out there (being a high risk) is another story.... But if he was happy to serve, his troops were happy, and the army was happy to place him out there then I feel it's their decision.

I think the media has caused the problem here, it was a risk to send him, but the media has just made that risk 100 times greater now. They have to bring him home now, surely.
Post #80473
Posted 28 February 2008 22:57

Supreme Being

British press did keep harry's deployment a secret until foreign media leaked it. I hope Prince Harry now leaves Afghanistan, as British soldiers could be in alot more danger.
Post #80474
Posted 29 February 2008 03:34
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:57
next thing you know he'll be the next top british singer LOL
Post #80475
Posted 29 February 2008 05:36

Supreme Being

Last Login: 06 September 2014 17:03
lol...u havent heard him the shower lately MM
Post #80476
Posted 29 February 2008 05:41
Supreme Being

lol annibell! ;-)
Post #80477
Posted 29 February 2008 06:59

Supreme Being

Last Login: 20 September 2014 20:51
I was watching ET tonight and Harry was being interviewed there. He said a line that hit home to me especially since we know of James' experience with the media. Maybe not quite the exact words but he said to the media there "I was a normal guy until you showed up." How sad for him to be exposed now. It changes everything.
Post #80478
Posted 29 February 2008 07:00
Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 October 2011 21:34
Oh, that IS sad...poor guy. This was likely the most he 'blended in' with 'normal' people in his entire life and now, it's taken from him just like that.

bless....
Post #80479
Posted 29 February 2008 07:12
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

i think amnesty int. should work more closely with United Nations..
Post #80480
Posted 29 February 2008 07:47
Supreme Being

Last Login: 31 July 2014 04:33
ya just gotta love the media, don't ya?

hadn't he been over there for ten weeks and no one knew? one stupid little leak and no more "just another one of the guys".

matt drudge.....can't you find another way to make a living, like maybe testing land mines or something?

i just heard on the news that Harry is leaving immediately.
Post #80481
Posted 29 February 2008 16:02
Supreme Being

Yes, unfortunately, he's being pulled off of the lines for safety reasons. It's really the best thing at this point since it's out there in the world....but it's unfortunate that it's had to happen this way.

Not only has this changed the course of someone's path, it's divided a group....tragic.
Post #80482
Posted 29 February 2008 16:10

Supreme Being

Last Login: 20 September 2014 20:51
Good idea, Deb. How some media people can be so self centered that they only care about being the one to break a story rather than look at the bigger picture of the harm they are doing with their exploitation. It wasn't just a matter of exposing where Prince Harry was and what he was doing, he actually was potentially putting the Prince's life at risk.
Post #80483
Posted 29 February 2008 16:21
Supreme Being

In addition to the rest of his group.....

Very irresponsible....
Post #80484
Posted 29 February 2008 19:20
Supreme Being

i feel quite angry towards the paper who first leaked this. whether it was the German Paper, the Aussie paper, or the US paper, they had no right, and have been digustingly stupid.

HRH was serving there because he wanted to do it, he's always made that no secret, and if that meant he was willing to do it undercover then good on him, he's a man who's doing what he wants to, and if that means fighting terrorists then full steam ahead!

but quite what right these papers had to leak the news in beyond me. they all knew the risks it would bring, and thanks to them their "mistake" could have caused deaths for so many people.

these are terrosists the army are dealing with, they'll kill themselves and everyone around them for what they believe in, they arent rational people - if they could find HRH they would have done all they could to kill him, think about the outrage that would follow that if, God forbid, that happened? the country and the rest of the world would be scared shiteless.

His Royal Highness was undercover, and i encourage that. no-one knew, no-one would have to know.

if it had not been spoiled like this, it would have been one up for us, the terrosists would have missed it, and thats no bad thing.

so cheers Editor-Of-Paper, your "mistake" is really appreciated i'm sure.

sorry, rant over (for now, lol).
Post #80485
Posted 29 February 2008 20:58
Supreme Being

Last Login: 10 April 2014 02:57
I heard some putz from the US leaked this info. Makes me wish I was born somewhere else. Damn idiot.

I did see a photo of Harry in our paper this morning. A nice one of him and a .50 cal (my weapon of choice) He looked very happy with a huge smile on his face. xx
Post #80486
Posted 29 February 2008 21:59
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:54
The press that leaked this story (I heard Australian, American were responsible) are serious a$$holes. The story was kept secret for some very important reasons - the safety of all the troops involved. I wish they had kept their mouths shut until he returned like the others stated. I have such disdain and distrust for many of the media outlets so I can't say I'm entirely surprised. It really is a shame he couldn't finish out his tour with his fellow soldiers. I'm sure they are all really disappointed.
Post #80487
Posted 29 February 2008 22:01
Supreme Being

kangaroo - your "rant" post was spot on. couldn't agree more with you.
Post #80488
Posted 29 February 2008 22:17

Supreme Being

Last Login: 24 February 2011 22:24
LOL! The story was originally printed in an Australian 'womens' mag in January this year called 'New Idea', but no one believed it!! They kinda have a habit of calling wolf. In fact if they say something is 'up', it's probably really 'down'.
IF the media can find out about Harry's deployment, isn't it just plausable that ANYONE could find out?
Doesn't it say more about the capacity of the Defense Force to keep secrets SECRET??
Why is the media sworn to secrecy? They just shouldn't know in the first place. I'd hardly trust THEM with sensitive National Security issues!
What's going on?
Had to laugh though when I saw Harry's interview and they said that his friends call him the 'Bullet Magnet'!
OMG, I don't wanna be next to the guy that's called a 'Bullet Magnet'!!!!
Post #80489
Posted 01 March 2008 15:41

Supreme Being

Hero Prince Harry touched down on British soil today after he was dramatically pulled out of Afghanistan.
The prince 23, arrived at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire at 11.29am on a RAF Tristar troop transporter plane.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/royals/article858482.ece
Post #80490
Posted 01 March 2008 16:11
Supreme Being

Faith70

I would have to agree with you there- who the HELL trusts the media with anything considered a classified secret especially when it comes to security and defense issues? Our right to know does jeopardize the safety of not only military personnel but civilians that live in war zones.

If we fear our governments will allow uncontrolled activities by our respective military forces unless there is someone to 'watch' what goes on, perhaps there should be an independently accountable body of people who's responsibility is to ensure human rights are not violated or ensure war crimes are not committed under a veil of secrecy. We know well what happens when there are no measures to stop war related atrocities from occurring before hand.

In any case, publishing newspaper articles that an an heir to a monarchy was engaged in battle in an unstable and volatile region serves many purposes- one of which I think is called propaganda. All I have to ponder now is the leaking of the story- was it truly meant to be a secret, or was it just another way of thumbing their noses at the enemy that someone of significance was there and has managed to return home alive.

I am relieved to know yet another 'bullet' magnet' has escaped injury. But one should always be aware winning the battle and the war is an artful series of well orchestrated ruse.

All the world is a stage..
Post #80491
Posted 01 March 2008 18:06

Supreme Being

Last Login: 25 November 2010 19:40
I felt very saddened to see Harry coming home today, knowing it wasn't the way he wanted it to be. Of course, its great he's back safe and sound. Its right that they've pulled him out of there now that the secret is out.

Here, we've seen various interviews with Harry filmed whilst he was out there. He mentioned on several occasions how he was glad to be there away from the public gaze. He's missed out on the constant media coverage of the inquest into his mother's death - I had been say watching it wondering how the 2 boys were coping with having the images of the crash thrust onto our screens everyday.. Harry at least seems to have been spared that.

One very touching scene today was when the three princes emerged from the RAF base and got into Charles's car ... a father and brother welcoming home someone who had been away, big brother carrying little brother's bags. Almost a normal family.
Post #80492
Posted 06 March 2008 17:19
Supreme Being

His mother would be proud he is a gentleman. and serving in the forces. being a man etc. she's your mother Harry. but what would she say if you were dishonourable? in your position?

How did the guy in the Drudge know he was there? and is it ethical that a journalist/ally should leak details without consulting security? a bit reckless.

I think Harry would have tried to be a part of serving the country any old way. He chose the Armed Forces.

I think William and Harry are a pair of lovely young men. they turned out well Charles.
Post #80493
Posted 17 March 2008 02:28
Supreme Being

It must be hard to be them. Ever body want to get into your life. That must sucks
Post #80494
Posted 17 March 2008 14:01
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:53
I am actually disappointed that they brought him back. If he really wanted to be treated just like any other soldier he would have stayed & risked coming home in a body bag. The Taliban will keep on trying to kill the soldiers that are left. I have mixed feelings about the situation in Afghanistan & I do not like the blanket 'fighting terrorists' excuse. They have beliefs about how their country should be run that conflict with how we think their country should be run. Any kind of war is terrorism these days.

I have seen a few documentaries about Afghanistan & it does seem to be a very harsh country with a serious drug problem ie. they manufacture them & when I say harsh I mean the climate as it gets pretty cold. I don't relate Afghanistan to terrorism.

It is telling that New Idea did innocently 'break' the story but it took several months before the rest of the world jumped on it. If I remember rightly Australian media is big on being informed about where troops are & it is a shame that Britain didn't issue a series of cover stories for the women's magazines. Not having Harry or Chelsey Davey to gossip about for several months does leave a glaring gap in their repertoire.

I hope they give Harry another chance next time his unit his deployed & have a better media blanket set up in terms of Chelsey giving all the women's magazines something else to gossip about. She might enjoy being an 'undercover' agent in the service of the crown ;-)
Post #80495
Posted 15 April 2008 16:41

Supreme Being

Harry Army hero gets MRSA

The royal marine hailed a hero by Prince Harry, has contracted the hospital superbug MRSA

When are these wounded soldiers going to be provided with Military Hospitals.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/article1041512.ece
Post #80496
Posted 16 April 2008 15:11

Supreme Being

Last Login: 06 December 2014 14:42
That's terrible to hear - something has got to be done.
Post #80497
Posted 30 May 2009 13:15

Supreme Being

Prince Harry was on British TV news yesterday.

Royal hero at Ground Zero.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/royals/2456115/Prince-Harry-vists-Ground-Zero.html
Post #80498
Posted 30 May 2009 15:16

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 January 2013 13:31
Lady Blunt I saw this on TV also. I was surprised.
They said Harry was there to keep his links with the British soldiers and people who had lost their lives on 9/11.

Have you been to Ground Zero? I visited in 2006. It brought back memories of the day for me.

Princes William and Harry could charm birds out of the trees. I think they are a wonderful pair of young men.
Post #80499
Posted 31 May 2009 05:00

Supreme Being

Last Login: 06 December 2014 14:42
He is so much like his late mother and definitely seems to have the same ability to build a rapport with all kinds of people, bless him.

That must have been so moving going to Ground Zero vegas.baby.

I shall never forget hearing the terrible news when I was at work, it was just so incomprehensible.
Post #80500
Prev Topic | Next Topic

All times are GMT, Time now is 8:11pm