Register using Facebook

Please also select your country:

Where are you from?

We think you're from UK, but you can change your region above any time for local news and competitions!

Do not show me this message again.

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

«««678910»»»

What are you READING right now? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 08 September 2014 00:52
Vic Damone- Singing was the easy part
Post #160570
Posted 07 March 2011 11:09

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 28 September 2014 00:11
The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom.
Post #170947
Posted 07 March 2011 12:07

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 22 September 2011 11:03
I am still reading 'My Horizontal Life' By Chelsea Handler. I'm just over half way through.

Her life and way of thinking is so alien to me. How can women be so different? I feel as if we were brought up in a different universe. I have never gone after a man just for sex, I thought that's what men did? Women are programmed differently to men. Maybe something happens in some people's childhoods that changes the general psychological way of thinking. Or maybe it is a cultural thing? Or maybe the book is exaggerating the truth somewhat?

Sex to me is an expression of love.
Post #170950
Posted 12 March 2011 13:19

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 January 2013 13:31
Snow magazine. I keep dreaming I'm going to wake in a little chalet miles away from work with the sun shining and some nice man making my breakfast in the kitchen.

or having a shower.

Is that too much info? sorry. this should be in Blunt dreams?

Post #171771
Posted 12 March 2011 22:24

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 18 April 2011 19:59
'Emma', one of Jane Austen's most finest, I've read it over a hundred times before, However, A timeless book never gets old.

Linda

Post #171847
Posted 13 March 2011 06:01

Supreme Being

Last Login: 09 September 2013 16:32
^

I've just finished Alexander McCall Smith- 44 Scotland Street and have just started the second in the series. They're easy to read which I'm liking at the moment, and full of humour. Good books.
Post #171865
Posted 13 March 2011 12:44

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 14 March 2011 20:23
Im reading Vampire Diaries T.2, for the second time...
Post #171885
Posted 13 March 2011 13:08

Last Login: 13 April 2011 16:37
I just finisher "The little girl of Mister Linh" French book
Post #171887
Posted 14 March 2011 20:04

Supreme Being

What colour is your parachute. Dont worry its an old one. Bin bound..

with the Working in Ski Resorts.

Post #172050
Posted 13 November 2011 23:18

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 20:17
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith.

That was a weird book..

Post #200420
Posted 13 November 2011 23:28

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 August 2014 17:54
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steve Levitt and Stephen Dubner (I just felt I need to reread these books).
The third one is The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (this one I read for the first time)
Post #200421
Posted 14 November 2011 02:18

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 September 2014 06:26
I'm re-reading In A Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson. It's one of my favorite books. Lots of laugh out loud moments.
Post #200423
Posted 14 November 2011 14:02
Supreme Being

Last Login: 02 April 2013 19:27
I've just started The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.
Post #200447
Posted 29 November 2011 13:31

Supreme Being

Dogs Today. magazine.
Post #201628
Posted 12 April 2012 14:35

Supreme Being

I am in the middle of John Fowles' The Magus. It is the second book of his I read. First one was The French Lieutenant's Woman which I discovered 10 years ago. Perhaps it is better later than never
Post #212687
Posted 12 April 2012 17:48
Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 June 2012 07:19
Lith you'd get on well with my mother,  she is a big John Fowles fan.  I am reading about health and nutrition etc. mostly for my exams at the moment, but will occasionally escape into dipping into poetry and spirituality books.
Post #212698
Posted 12 April 2012 20:31

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 20:57
At the moment I read Cody McFadyen The shadow man, it's very exciting. I also love books from Patricia Cornwell.
Post #212715
Posted 13 April 2012 11:30

Supreme Being

Peacefulness, I bet I would My favourite authors are Hermann Hesse, Erich Maria Remarque and Paulo Coelho (except his last book that seems like was written simply because he had obligation to write it)... Fowles is the most recent addition to my fav ones
My flatmate of four years while I was studying was student of medical school. I liked books about health issues but never really got humour of medical students. Finding skull under duvet might be funny for those who put it there but I still consider it pretty creepy

pfiffi, both authors are unknown for me. Patricia Cornwell writes detective stories, doesn't she? Which book of hers would you recommend to start with?
Post #212731
Posted 13 April 2012 14:26
Supreme Being

Lith - I enjoyed Hesse's Siddharta, it was beautifully written and very engaging to read and also Paul Coelo's The Alchemist.  Your flat mate sounds a bit scary, though I am not a medical student by the way, studying complementary medicine, i'm just about to qualify as a life coach, then hoping to go into the inter faith ministry training in the autumn - so lots more spirituality books for me!
Post #212733
Posted 13 April 2012 16:54

Supreme Being

Hi Lith, yes she writes dedective stories. There is the "Kay Scarpetta" series. I don't know, say you so in English? These books I like the most. Kay Scarpetta is a boss panthologist. She is the central figure. I think the first book is called "A case for Kay Scarpetta".
The books are very interesting written, you learn a lot about forensic and investigative work. and it's always so excitiing that I can't stop reading before the end.
Try it!
Post #212738
Posted 13 April 2012 19:08

Supreme Being

Peacefulness, my favourite of Hermann Hesse is Demian. I liked his other books but found very difficult to read The Glass Bead Game - it was too complicated for me and took months to finish because I gave up at least three times and then went back to that book. I started to know Paulo Coelho from Alchemist but perhaps my favourite one is Veronica Decides to Die.
Vow! It must be very interesting to be life coach. And it's a very demanding job, you had to learn a lot of important things. My former flatmate is among pioneers who brought Tibetan medicine here, so perhaps you would have an interesting chat while drinking tea.

pfiffi, I will have in mind Kay Scarpetta when I look for books to read. Thank you for telling! I would never discover it on my own. CSI seems to be very interesting work and Patricia Cornwell does a lot of research before she starts writing the book
Post #212749
Posted 13 April 2012 19:25

Supreme Being

Lith (13/04/2012)
Peacefulness, my favourite of Hermann Hesse is Demian. I liked his other books but found very difficult to read The Glass Bead Game - it was too complicated for me and took months to finish because I gave up at least three times and then went back to that book. I started to know Paulo Coelho from Alchemist but perhaps my favourite one is Veronica Decides to Die.
Vow! It must be very interesting to be life coach. And it's a very demanding job, you had to learn a lot of important things. My former flatmate is among pioneers who brought Tibetan medicine here, so perhaps you would have an interesting chat while drinking tea.

pfiffi, I will have in mind Kay Scarpetta when I look for books to read. Thank you for telling! I would never discover it on my own. CSI seems to be very interesting work and Patricia Cornwell does a lot of research before she starts writing the book

She was a police reporter before, but it was to boring and the started writing.
Post #212752
Posted 14 April 2012 13:08

Supreme Being

Last Login: 28 September 2014 23:13
I'm planning on reading the Lord Of The Rings books and i'm already looking forward to it.
I love reading books in English but the Lord Of The Rings is just too heavy stuff in another language so I'll read it in German...
Post #212776
Posted 15 April 2012 15:08

Supreme Being

I've also read The Lord of the Rings. It's very exciting! You get a lot of information, who isn't in the movies. I can only recommend you.
I read Harry Potter too. I couldn't put away the books. It was like an addiction.
Post #212796
Posted 15 April 2012 16:32

Supreme Being

Last Login: 28 September 2014 23:13
I've read Harry Potter, too.
And I'm still addicted, in fact I'm reading the fifth book in English now (I prefer them to the German translation and I've learned so much reading them).
I love how everything is so complex and the books are connected. I've read them much too often but I still keep discovering new things...
Post #212805
Posted 15 April 2012 17:33

Supreme Being

You can even discover anything new, if you read a book again. It's true.
I haven't still read many books read in English. Maybe I should to better my English?
Post #212807
Posted 17 April 2012 23:49

Supreme Being

Last Login: 20 April 2014 19:07
@pfiffi I admit that it took me three years to read the LOTR tiology. The extended DVDs include more of the book when you consider how much is in the book and then the film....I think Peter Jackson did a good job Looking forward to the Hobbit (or the first part) this year :p

Currently reading:
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay
Discworld: Going Postal (comparing the book to the TV adaptation a few years ago )

Huggles
Vhari x
Post #212881
Posted 03 May 2012 10:19
Supreme Being

These two books arrived today

"There is nothing wrong with you" - by Cheri Huber -

for inter-faith ministry training, especially spiritual counselling

Peace is every step - Thich Nhat Hanh - general reading for personal development

Post #213507
Posted 03 May 2012 16:49

Supreme Being

I read "Cien años de soledad" or "One hundred years of solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez. He was really worth Nobel Prize for Literature in 1982. I have read this book in Lithuanian and English, now read in Spanish (not sure if I have enough patience to finish it but original version is the best one so far)

...Before reaching the final line, however, he had already understood that he would never leave that room, for it was foreseen that the city of mirrors (or mirages) would be wiped out by the wind and exiled from the memory of men at the precise moment when Aureliano Babilonia would finish deciphering the parchments, and that everything written on them was unrepeatable since time immemorial and forever more, because races condemned to one hundred years of solitude did not have a second opportunity on earth.
Post #213518
Posted 12 May 2012 22:14
Supreme Being

Last Login: 16 September 2014 17:47
The dictionnary. I'm not reading it through from a to z, but sometimes i get lost in it. Skipping through, a word to another. So interesting, the origins of a word, the evolution of language. I also have a book home about the evolution of alphabet, from pictograms to the hebraïc and then the greek.
Post #213856
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««678910»»»

All times are GMT, Time now is 9:17pm