Register using Facebook

Please also select your country:

Where are you from?

We think you're from UK, but you can change your region above any time for local news and competitions!

Do not show me this message again.

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

MONTREAL, Bell Center - 28th Nov 2008 Expand / Collapse
Author

JB.com Admin

JB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com Admin

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 12 December 2014 16:58
Amongst other good Blunty fans, look out for:

jbfan132
annielarose
pookey
TrixieF
Mir and friend
Yensie
Trinity and Danica
CellophaneFlower

How was the concert for you?
Post #52727
Posted 28 November 2008 21:07

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11 October 2014 19:52
have a great night!
Post #52728
Posted 28 November 2008 21:41

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 25 April 2014 04:58
I just took a little walk around the venue and sadly did not see any buses . I believe they park indoors at the Bell Centre. I did hear a bit of a sound check as I was collecting my tickets tho ... sounded nice

My mom and I should be leaving in a couple of hours. See you all there!!

I have butterflies in my stomach

Kathy

Post #52729
Posted 28 November 2008 21:53
Supreme Being

Last Login: 13 March 2014 21:49
have a great time all of you!
Post #52730
Posted 28 November 2008 22:09

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 July 2013 00:44
Wish I was there.....
Post #52731
Posted 28 November 2008 23:25
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:54
Montreal- a city i would love to see. Better to have butterflies than caterpillars Kathy.
Post #52732
Posted 29 November 2008 02:40

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:56
Trixie just let me hear Love, Love, Love, it was a bit scratchy but i could still tell James voice was bang on! Thank you Mary, love ya 2 bits. You just made my night sweetheart Hope you're having a blast there you lucky girl.
Post #52733
Posted 29 November 2008 05:10
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:57
Hello all!!
I'm just back from the show. sorry, I don't write on the forum very often, even if i read it!
So, it was AMAZING!!!! i saw him the first time at the Bell Centre and at the St-Denis too. It was the best show ever!!! So much energy. You could tell that his voice was a little bit tired tho, but still.. wow!!
I had no idea that he goes into the crowd to sing a song in the middle of the Floor section. I was lucky enough to have tickets on the floor, and saw him SOOOO close!! (even if the security guard didn't want me to go any further haha) wow, and after, i realized that he was gonna pass right next to me, and i just didnt move lol. So he grabbed my hand cause i was in the middle of the aisle YAY!!!!!
I'm so happy, it was a GREAT SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it ended at 11:15... Thats it =o)
Post #52734
Posted 29 November 2008 05:27

Supreme Being

Last Login: 25 April 2014 04:58
What a brilliant show!!! Wow!!! It's up there as one of the best I've ever seen Even James said when he came back for his encore that when he and the boys were waiting backstage to come back out they said this was one of their best crowds *sigh*

But first, Luke Doucet and the White Falcons were very good! He sure can play a mean guitar - it was genius to watch!

Let me tell you though, when Superstition started it was just like being back on the UK tour - the butterfly frenzy in my stomach started and then there was Beardy on stage counting down 4-3-2-1 ...... Breathe!!!!

Oh but what a pleasure it was to see the boys up on stage! They were having a grand old time, laughing often. Got a Hello from Beardy, John and Ben (I couldn't really see Karl much from where I was sitting). While James was playing at the back piano, TrixieF and I moved up to the front to cheer on the boys .... it was nice to see Ben walk over towards us and give us a HUGE smile!

One brilliant moment for me was when James flicked his guitar pick to a couple in the front row so that they would get off their seats (everyone else around them was standing, even my mom who needs a cane when walking! )- he then said "I like it better when people stand" ....

Turn me on is still awesome! I don't think I'll every tire of hearing it. So Long Jimmy was genius, especially with James kicking at Karl's cymbals at the end of the song ... loved it!

I didn't stay behind to meet the band as I was with my mom. But ... I did get a set list ..... sweet!

It was a pleasure seeing other boardies again and meeting others for the first time. I look forward to seeing you all again on tour

Anyways off to pack for Ottawa ... we're leaving mid-day tomorrow for a 2 hour drive.

Hear we go again!

Kathy

Post #52735
Posted 29 November 2008 06:16
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: 02 May 2011 04:07
Dear Dear James,
you have just dropped a thousand roses into Montreal from your helicopter tonight......

You have not disapointed us...and who are we to demand such a gift from you..
You are the most generous performer I know.

Je t,aime aussi

Will never forget this night.You never cease to impress upon me a sense of communication that is so subtle and so strong at the same time . You really love your audience and it shows.

Thank you so much

I will always be at your concerts , I must not miss ever something so special.

Diane
Post #52736
Posted 29 November 2008 06:23
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:54
What a lovely sentiment- Diane from Montreal.

How sweet - he likes it better when people stand at a show. Does it remind him of having people standing in rank.. no sitting is allowed..
I wonder? lol
Post #52737
Posted 29 November 2008 11:50

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 28 October 2013 18:42
Last night was awesome!
James and the band were amazing !
Wow ! I am still trying to get my voice back from all the screaming i did ! lol
He rocked the house, his energy was incredible!
He gave us a truely wonderful performance , i shall never forget!
Post #52738
Posted 29 November 2008 13:04
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:58
count me in as a james fan. this montreal show was great. i knew his style may not b the best for arena shows but it worked great. i really appreciate james as an artist of these times. not the happiest of times. but he helps make things better.

so cool to have run thru the crowd. showing no fear which only makes sense, we are supposed to be fans - not Walmart customers looking for bargains!

i was emotional to the point of not being able to sing thru "No Bravery" and "Goodbye My Lover".

i have no idea if his posivitive montreal comment was true but it sounded sincere and was nice to say.

it was very refreshing to go to a young artist show. lately i have seen a few "seasoned" musicians who are great but james is in his prime and thats refreshing.

not that many posts here, but i wanted to count myself in as appreciating james tunes. bye bye
Post #52739
Posted 29 November 2008 15:08
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 02 January 2012 23:49
Woohoo! How much fun was that!?!?! I went to Montreal from Ottawa and left my husband and kids at home, I think everyone around me thought I was crazy, I sang and danced all the way through! I didn't stop grinning. At the end, to top it all off, some woman came and handed me a cute little calander and walked away. I turned it over and there was a sticker from jbfan! I jumped up and ran over to her and introduced myself. What are the chances, out of all those people, she randomly picked a boardie (although I usually just lurk) It was neat to meet her. I didn't get the names of the others with her but cheers and hello to you too! I am getting ready for Ottawa tonight, if anyone is going, I'm front row, a couple seats over from Jonathan! Come on by and say hi!!

Yaaaayyyyyy!
Post #52740
Posted 29 November 2008 15:35
Supreme Being

I was so pleased to meet some boadies before the show. jbfan132 didn't let down at all!! Thank you, thank you - she had an amazing experience at the autograph signing session - it was a real treat to meet her and her official photographer (hee hee) (I held up the "boadies 'heart' you" sign whenever I thoguht the lights would let him see it). I also got to meet pookey who was about to attend her 16th show!!!! WOW - awesome - no wonder Ben came over and gave her a big smile. And I also got breifly meet TrixieF, another very dedicated fan who's travelled a long ways to see James. An absolute pleasure and honour to meet you all.

Alas, I could not stay behind after the show to try and see the boys as I had to run (litterally) to the Greyhound station to catch the last bus out of Montreal to get home.

The Montreal show was amazing - I do not doubt (reliure) that his commment on Montreal being his best croud yet since starting this tour in January was quite honest. I had just been to Grande Prairie, and Saskatoon, and even though I had no where near as good seats in Montreal, it was by far the best gig.

They had a large projection screens up high on either side of the stage, so you could see all the emotional nuances showing on his face. (they did not have those at the other concerts)

And the croud sang, I mean really sang and knew so many of the words - I didn't hear that in the 2 shows out west. I felt like I was the only one singing at those shows. I think he really liked that - he smiled a lot at the audience when their voices were really filling the stadium.

I was very impressed with the courd during "No Bravery" - they were dead silent (almost). I'm sure that really impressed him too. (Although they were still quite bad during the first verse of "I really Want You" - He grimmaced his way through that, perhaps he's given up on trying to tell people to be quiet, but then everyone sang along so well to it after the hoots and hollers settled down)

I saw James flick his guitar pick out to someone, but from (way back in 16th row!!) where I was I couldn't see that there were 2 duds still sitting in the first row he was trying to encourage to stand!!! (thanks for filling us in Pookey)

I love this little thing that Beardy does during "Give Me Some Love" - he kicks his foot up and out to the side while down at the piano. So cute.

I will try to write down his set, but I see now I can't read the scribbles I wrote during the concert, so I'll do my best, but others may correct it.

Breathe
Wiseman
Billy
I Really Want You
Love Love Love
(...takes his jacket off at this point - but no invitation to the croud for them to take their clothes off this time, as in previous shows, perhaps he thought that Montrealers really would start to strip down!!)
Carry You Home
No Bravery
Give Me Some Love
Shine
Out Of My Mind
(then he does his "Ooh ooh" thing with the croud)
Cuz I Love You
(... Beardy gets up on top stage and signals the audience to clap, James jumps down and runs to the back piano during this song, and the band is instructed to sing the corus 2X, and audience to sing it 2X)
I'll Take Everything
Goodbye My Lover
(well sung by audience and many cell phones sparkled in the stands - nice)
(... he makes his way back to front stage)
Turn Me On
You're Beautiful
(he told the audience that they sing very well)
Same Mistake

encore...
(told the audience they were the best croud yet)
One Of The Brightest Stars
So Long Jimmy
1973 (big finale)

Well, I am still a little hoarse from singing so loudly. And now I have to get ready for tonight's concert here in Ottawa. I am already sad at the knowledge that this is my last concert. I do not know what I'll do after tonight. I'll definitely be lost - one of Blunty's lost souls.
Post #52741
Posted 29 November 2008 16:01
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

AWESOME!!! I'm so friggen excited!!! I'm checking how much room I have on my memory cards as we speak!
Post #52742
Posted 29 November 2008 16:23
Supreme Being

Man the one thing that I am extremely disappointed with is that I have been entirely unable to get any photos or video of anything!! I hope some people will post what they've managed to get.

I will just have to cherish the memories in my mind's eye.
Post #52743
Posted 29 November 2008 16:45
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

At the last concert I went to of his, i was only able to get one single photo that turned out alright. I was totally heart broken...but here's the thing. I recently went to see Celine Dion, and was snapping pictures the entire time. I can honestly say I enjoyed James' show far more than hers because at least I was watching the show and not waiting for the best photo opportunity.

I'm planning to bring my digital camera this go around, but I don't plan on taking as many pics as I did for Celine Dion...it just takes away from the enjoyment of it all. I do have more memories of his than I do for hers. It's like I wasn't at hers at all because I wasn't watching the show, I was behind the lense the whole night.

So consider it a blessing!
Post #52744
Posted 29 November 2008 16:56
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: 02 May 2011 04:07
Blue Eclipse, I think James meant it... when he said Montreal was his favorite out of all the other places he,s been.You should come to the Montreal show next time if you can.You will see.

.I think his enthusiasm is so contagious , it is almost as if you were on stage with him, he tries to be all over the place at once and cover you with all his love and emotions , you are engulfed in a beautiful spectrum of feelings of peace, joy,freedom and human solidarity in a world that needs it so....

All the songs were as if I had never heard them before, they all took a new dimension on stage last night.They were so intense with feelings and true artistry. Fantastic musicians and performers.Almost 2 hours non stop of the best you can ever get , they were all there body spirit and soul.

I cannot say wich is my favorite song, they were all so great but if I had to choose, I would pick I Really Love You , it gets to me .. along with Shine On, Carry You Home, and I just LOVE to see them perform So Long Jimmy, Love also Love Love Love I truely enjoyed every single second of the show .... as usual.

Cannot believe how every time it can get better..

Diane
Post #52745
Posted 29 November 2008 18:57
Forum Member

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:53
Thank you so much to all of you for your résumés of last night's James Blunt concert. It sure sounds like it was good. I am happy for all of you.

I am going to see him tonight in Ottawa. Can't wait. I've already listened to his CD's this morninig.

I am sorry to see though that he didn't play Tears and Rain last night. It has to be one of my very, very favourite songs of James Blunt. I hope to hear it tonight.
Ciao
Post #52746
Posted 29 November 2008 19:13
Supreme Being

Yes, Tears and Rain is my favourite song as well and he didn't play it at the western concerts I went to either. I was really just as happy, because as great as the concerts were, he really would be far far better in a smaller venue, I think something is lost in the large concerts, so I'd just assume not have my favourite song sung where it wouldn't be all that it could be.
There are other things gained of course by seeing him in a concert, but I just wish I could see him in a tiny one. :o)
Post #52747
Posted 29 November 2008 20:08

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 14:11
Amazing atmosphere!
Yes, I can agree with James when he said that Montreal was his favourite to play in and I can understand why. The crowd was more enthusiastic than the Toronto show and cheering much louder. They also stood through most of it to which James said "I'd much rather prefer that you stood, thank you".

Pics to come soon.

Onward to the Scotiabank Place with Trixie I go!

Spinning on my heels....so far away from real <3
Post #52748
Posted 29 November 2008 20:11

Supreme Being

Last Login: 20 September 2014 20:51
What can I say but 'amazing.' The energy from the audience was superb. James' voice sounded really good and the songs full of emotion as usual. One of the better concerts I have attended even though I'm not a fan of arenas.

Again, meeting my fellow boardies is a highlight of my trips. JBfan (and Francine) Pookey, Annielarose, Mir you are all so wonderful. Then there's Trinity and Danica travelling with them is a terrifric experience.

So it's on to Ottawa, hope to see everyone again...
Post #52749
Posted 29 November 2008 21:37
Forum Newbie

Montreal concert was damn awesome!
he has such an amazing voice..
what a magical evening last night...He is so charming...His smile...
oh my god...I wish i could hug him so tight!
what a sweetheart..
congrats on your show last night James...you were more then amazing words can discribe...
JE TAIME!
Post #52750
Posted 29 November 2008 22:47
Supreme Being

Last Login: 08 August 2013 05:07
Montreal sounds like THE show to have been at and the electricity surrounding your words just bounces off the board!

Reliure I've never heard James comment to a crowd they have been the best, so I'm sure he meant it.

Diane you encapsulated exactly what the atmosphere was like in just one word ---- 'solidarity'. Everyone standing with the audience bouncing their enthusiasm and joy to James and the guys. and them bouncing the same back to the audience. Sheer magic.

Mir I loved following your set list - it felt like being there with your comments about what was happening inbetween songs.
Post #52751
Posted 29 November 2008 22:58
Forum Newbie

oh yah!
he said Montreal was the most fun audience!
it was....im speachless...
Montrealers are crazy...and ive been to many concerts and they always say the same thing...
we rock! everyone from different countries rock but sum just have a special 'thing'
thats alright... 2 thumbs up for the fans all over the world.!
and James...I LOVE YA BABY!
Post #52752
Posted 29 November 2008 23:05
Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 October 2013 19:37
wow what fantastic reviews sounds like an amazing night once again he's rocked the house down
thanks for sharing
xxxx
Post #52753
Posted 29 November 2008 23:06

JB.com Admin

JB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com Admin

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 12 December 2014 16:58
Montreal raised $900 Cdn for MSF.
Post #52754
Posted 29 November 2008 23:27
Supreme Being

Last Login: 08 August 2013 05:07
Thanks Billy, James' solidarity is never-ending for MSF and Montreal really came to the party!
Post #52755
Posted 30 November 2008 03:04

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 18:49
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=2cc38629-5640-44ed-975d-bea17d6ff118

Heartthrob milks bread and butter
T'CHA DUNLEVY, The Gazette
Published: 17 hours ago

James Blunt's star may have faded slightly since his breakout single You're Beautiful wooed the world a few years back, but the British singer-songwriter-heartthrob still managed to pull in 11,370 screaming fans to the Bell Centre last night.

It was his second visit to our city in support of his new album All the Lost Souls - he played an intimate, sold-out gig at Théâtre St. Denis in February - and his first big show in our city since he drew 14,500 to the Bell Centre in 2006. So his adoring fans had reason to be excited.

Ecstatic cheers greeted the end of the first song, the bouncy, Elton John-esque Breathe. And a singalong broke out during the next one, Wisemen.

Blunt proved himself ever the affable showman, hamming it up with exaggerated facial expressions and general hyperactivity. (Big screens on each side of the stage caught his every move.)

He was earning his keep. And the mostly female audience lapped it up, screaming and shouting ("I love you!" and variations thereof) during the acoustic ballad I Really Want You.

"Once upon a time, I had a proper job," Blunt said, introducing the wartime ballad No Bravery as he sat at the piano. "I used to be in the army. My first posting was in the lethal place of Suffield, Alberta. Nobody invaded - say thank you anytime you want.

"After that, we went to Kosovo in 1999 and worked alongside the great Canadian army, as a team. I saw humans at their worst, most destructive and inhumane. And at the same time, I saw individuals showing compassion and humanity. Here's a song for them."

Blunt isn't one for subtlety; the song oozed melodrama from the lyrics to the delivery. But it was par for the course from a performer who wears his heart on his sleeve. Desperate, lovestruck odes are his bread and butter.

To mix it up, he has the campy piano jams. Case in point: his cover of Slade's Coz I Love You, a giddy tune about unconditional devotion. He ran down into the crowd halfway through, sprinting through the aisles and touching outstretched hands as he went. He picked up the song from an alternate stage at the back of the room, equipped with its own piano. The trick worked like a charm: Everyone was on their feet, clapping and singing along with renewed fervour.

He broke out the hits in the homestretch: I'll Take Everything, Goodbye My Lover (for which fans waved cellphones, and sang along to his quivering delivery), and the inevitable You're Beautiful.

"We have been on tour since the 5th of January, and visited over 190 cities," Blunt said, returning for the encore. "You have been the most fun audience on the entire tour."

Canadian Luke Doucet played an inspired set in the opening slot, warming up the room with his mix of stomping blues, alt-country and jangly roots rock.

tdunlevy@thegazette.canwest.com
Post #52756
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT, Time now is 12:39am