Register using Facebook

Please also select your country:

Where are you from?

We think you're from UK, but you can change your region above any time for local news and competitions!

Do not show me this message again.

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Pacha Magazine #38 August 2011 Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 13 October 2014 06:01
Article written by James for Pacha Magazine, August 2011

http://www.pacha.com/pachamagazine/pachaaugust2011/index.html#/254/zoomed

One Night In Heaven
Legendary Ibiza Nights 

ďIíVE always loved going out. I bought a home in Ibiza in 2006 so this trip to Cocoon would have been during my frst season. I jumped straight in: that was the reason I came to the island in the frst place. The climate, the food, the social scene Ė if you want the social scene then Ibiza is the place.

Essentially, a friend said we needed to experience Cocoon and he knew how to do it. The entrance is around the side so you donít have to look as though youíre doing anything special. When we walked in we got guided through the masses and didnít know where the hell we were going! We got shown through a maze of bars and thousands of people and guided through gate after gate of security and eventually I found myself on a balcony with Sven Všth off to the left.

Itís such an amazing view of all those little things that one would never men-tion: the blast of gas, the dancers looking amazing right in front of you and 50% of the people staring up at them! Time-wise, we got there around 3am; I enjoy going a bit later. Sven wouldnít come on until 4am so it was properly late night and everything was really kicking off by that point. Thereís always that usual muddle of getting yourself into the right spot.

Itís an amazing noise and amazing sight, over the balcony. Iím a regular at Pacha for Swedish House Mafa, Subliminal and Pete Tong Ė theyíve got the week covered. But I love Sven on a Monday as the music goes with the envi-ronment and itís darker and dirtier than the music you get at Pacha. And for me, I suppose itís more removed from other stuff. Youíll hear David Guetta all over the radio but Sven takes you to a different place. I make very main-stream music but my taste isnít limited to that. Plus thereís the performance element to it. All of them have been doing it a long time. Itís been ten years of Carl Cox and Cocoon already! What Iíve found when I turned up here is I looked around and thought, Ďwow Iím in the wrong job!í. They can bring CDs and a computer and thatís their only outlay Ė I have to pay for 13 crew members and several tonnes of equipment when I go on tour!

If you go to concerts with bands you know, thereís something personal there, whether itís songs or lyrics you know or how the music relates to your life. But in an Ibiza club, itís more of an experience. Itís not just me and my life Ė youíre with everyone else at that moment. One of the most amazing sights for me at Cocoon is watching and listening to where people are going in the last hour. Itís still dark inside and outside itís complete daylight. Thou-sands of people are spilling out of Amnesia and there are massive queues for the taxis Ė but if youíre lucky enough to have been handed a bracelet and you can fnd someone with transport for the after-party, thatís always really fun.

But this after-party was different. This time, we went to Marina Botafoch and got thrown on a boat, sailed around San Antonio and then parked up off the shore around lunchtime. I remember Erick Morillo was DJing. Things were getting cloudy quite naturally and there was talk of an after-party in the town with Sven somewhere. The sun was shining and I met a lot of people I didnít know Ė but the great thing about Ibiza is you do make some friends because it really is quite a small scene. From not knowing someone to saying hello to continuing to see them Ė thatís half the fun. People assume itís superfcial but I met a couple of people that night who I now know well, including one who I went out with for a couple of years afterwards! But whatís great is whatever the time of day doesnít feel important or relevant. To be able to turn up at a club at 3amÖ in the rest of the world, thatís madness and goes against everyday life! What I like is that people will say hello and include you, even if they donít know you so well. Males to males, females to females, nothing more compli-cated that that. Itís incredibly refreshing.

So we docked around lunchtime Ė and a handful of people came with me and came up to my house. If Iím honest, I was feeling competitive because I have my own club at home! But rather than a nightclub, itís more like a teenage disco. It can have between eight and 80 people and that spills up over the gar-den. I have a lighting company who help with my tour and so every tour I come back with new lights and a new soundsystem for the house. Iíve just put in two sets of Wizard lights, I have new lasers on order and weíre sponsored by Oval Vodka and Burn. Iíve got Serato set up, Nadia (a mannequin from the shop) who works on the door and if people are hungry, I have avocados, fgs and ol-ives in the garden. I remember taking about 12 people back that night. We do it pretty much every time we go out, just because itís remarkably simple.Ē

Post #216585
Posted 19 July 2012 03:29

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Today @ 18:17
Thank you so much for this finding. I love to read papers written by James himself.

I must say this young man has an incredible stamina to match with this lifestyle. After two days/nights at this pace, he would probably find me prostrated on the floor begging him to "Carry Me Home".

Post #216586
Posted 19 July 2012 07:45
Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 21:00
LOL: Oh I admire you JBfan 132 - 2 days - after one day I would be dead.  But under the current weather conditions in Germany and the permanent burden for the cardiovascular system I have to fight for surviving every single hour. Thanks God for coffee and green tea.
Post #216587
Posted 19 July 2012 14:35
Supreme Being

Last Login: 04 May 2014 20:40
RoseApril, WHAT A FIND: Detailed news about James' "alternative" life in his own words . . . and this was written just a few months before he hit the road with the SKOT tour!!! He is very candid about what the entire "initiation" experience is like, at least for one night-to-dawn transformation at Cocoon; there's even a tiny hidden reference to former girlfriend Sabine Vidal, me thinks!

Ibiza does seem to suit his personality perfectly --- he writes about this place in absolutely glowing terms, as if it's his idea of nirvana. And sort of the complete opposite of the army with nothing regimented. 3 a.m., 4 a.m, whatever, time is just two hands moving on a watch.

Reading this article has prepped me for the next chat session, should he decide to hold one again with his fans in the future :
"James, do you sleep? E-v-e-r?" (Seriously, I have begun to wonder.)

Mmmmmmmm, avocadoes, figs, & olives. Now that's a meal I could toast to. Also relieved to see that Blunty has expanded the four basic food groups from beer, beer, beer, & beer

Muchas gracias, RoseApril!
Post #216606
Posted 19 July 2012 15:44
Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 September 2014 20:52
the fgs sound especially exotic and tempting
Post #216607
Posted 19 July 2012 17:23

Supreme Being

Last Login: 20 September 2014 12:55
Thanks so much for posting this article
Post #216611
Posted 19 July 2012 20:23

Supreme Being

Last Login: 14 October 2014 19:55
Thanks, this was nice to read.
Post #216623
Posted 17 August 2012 18:55

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 00:10
James
What Iíve found when I turned up here is I looked around and thought, Ďwow Iím in the wrong job!í. They can bring CDs and a computer and thatís their only outlay Ė I have to pay for 13 crew members and several tonnes of equipment when I go on tour!

The day the crew members and tonnes of equipment were replaced for a computer and some CDs, is the day I start a protest!  I don't see it ever happening, but the thought gives me goosebumps!

Cinetheque, I like your description of Ibiza as 'Nirvana' - I suppose it is for many, it has many pleasures - not just it's party-life, but lots of history and is a spiritual haven for many too.  What a place to call home!

Post #217777
Posted 17 August 2012 19:34
Supreme Being

Most likely, the majority of Boardies have already discovered the origins behind the name Ibiza :

In 654 BC Phoenician settlers founded a port in the Balearic Islands, as Ibossim (from the Phoenician iboshim dedicated to the god of the music and dance Bes). It was later known to Romans as "Ebusus . . . ."

[Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibiza]

. . . But I came across this about half a year ago and thought it rather appropriate that, of course, a musician like James would gravitate to a place where music & dance is at its essence. So, it is a nirvana for his "kind" --- where James miraculously appears to regenerate himself while he's there.

I don't know whether the same would hold true for me with constant clubbing and no sleeping as the requisite lifestyle but hey based on recent photos of James in his own playground, it clearly works for him
Post #217784
Posted 17 August 2012 19:55

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 00:10
Lots of musicians live or holiday in Ibiza, so it's musical vibes must have a big influence. It certainly looks like it has the best of both worlds... somewhere you can party all night, enjjoy a siesta and cure the hangover at sunset before starting again!  Es Vedra is the 3rd most magnetic place in the world, a magical place steeped in history - and if you're lucky enough to find it, hindu art... but not very useful if you're lost without your compass!
Post #217790
Posted 17 August 2012 22:03
Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 September 2014 20:52
I think that James said that Ibiza is his favourite holiday destination because of the climate, surfing etc.  I don't see that binge drinking and partying in the long term are something that would serve him in the end and pretty sure that deep down James knows that.   My understanding is that James like any other human being can be regenerated without reference to alcohol or parties, that they are only part of the growing up process, that if you want to find a spiritual life then it is better to do this with real spirits rather than artificial ones.  I noticed the reference to the figs in his garden and my comment about them being tempting, as if it were the garden of Eden.  I can see that the whole earth is God's garden and that the original figs were somewhere else, not in Ibiza.  Anyhow I am not sure what this has to do with anything, just a conversation about somebody else's lifestyle I think?
Post #217796
Posted 18 August 2012 12:39

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 24 September 2013 08:41
are you talking about this one?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/PACHA-Ibiza-Magazin-38-2011-James-Blunt-David-Guetta-Seal-/230838882629?pt=Zeitschriften&hash=item35bf11d145
thanks for your answer
Post #217809
Posted 18 August 2012 19:39
Supreme Being

[DaveJ, certainly seems like it based on the cover shot from the pdf link provided at the top of this thread and flipping to page 1: http://www.pacha.com/pachamagazine/pachaaugust2011/index.html#/1/zoomed]
Post #217840
Posted 18 August 2012 19:45
Supreme Being

Annmarie: Hindu art . . . in Es Vedra . . . ? Now that's a connection I would've never made!

3rd most magnetic place in the world, a magical place steeped in history - and if you're lucky enough to find it, hindu art... but not very useful if you're lost without your compass!

. . . Belated laughter on my end I just figured out that the island is literally the most magnetic place, i.e. dense mineral concentration in one geographic location, and a compass needle will direct you right splat here whether it's north or not!
Post #217842
ę Prev Topic | Next Topic Ľ

All times are GMT, Time now is 10:28pm